Cadia Park Site

At the edge of the main town a bare site dominated by a stone rotunda is all that remains of  the site of Cadia Park, the home of Charles Hoskins, owner of the Lithgow Steel Mills. He had moved to this area for the sake of the ill-health of his daughter, Hilda. (See Hilda Gardens)

cadia park lawson

At its height the property of over 40 acres boasted a zoo  and well-kept gardens some remains of which still exist. There was also a major garden on the side of the highway opposite the property but this has long vanished. At the rear of the property there was a large brick well and the remains of an old steam pump bolted down on the perimeter of the well.

Further down there were the remains of a former bricked swimming pool 30 metres long, a metre high and oval in shape. The only item still remaining to indicate the scope of the property at its height is the stone rotunda, built from local rocks. When the Lithgow Steel Works moved to port Kembla,  the Hoskins family moved away about 1921.

In 1930 the Benedictine Order bought the property and operated it as a monastery. A small cemetery was dedicated at the rear  and three members of the Order were to be buried there. In 1949 the property passed to the Sisters of Saint Joseph who operated it as a holiday rest home for the Sisters of the Order.

The original house was destroyed following the bushfires of 1977

On 18th December 1977 the bushfire that so severely damaged Lawson burned most of the buildings still on the property. While a convent belonging to various Christian Orders was to remain in the building next door Cadia Park proper remained in an increasingly derelict condition until its recent purchase for development. Only the rotunda still remains.

Return Map Of Lawson